Llandaff North Ladies vs Caernarfon 25.09.2016

carnarfonBy Nia Jones

The North Ladies came out for their second game of the season ready to better their previous performance against Pontyclun. With 6 new players on the field there was plenty to play for.
With the sun out conditions were good for running rugby. Both teams were eager for the win and Caernarfon made their intention clear minutes from kick off. Turning over the ball after North almost immediately, the Caernarfon forward’s strong running and crunching tackles saw their NO 8 crash over the line to open the scoring. 0-7 to the visitors.

North restarted and once again Caernarfon ran the ball back hard at the home side with the pack setting a great platform for the backs to play from. The North defensive line held strong with Emily Kitchin putting in more than one try saving tackle. In the end the pressure was too much for the home defence and centre Jenny Davies crossed the line for Caernarfon’s second score making it 0-14 to the visiting side.

From the Restart the home team was determined not to let the game get away from them. With ball in hand North ladies worked their way up the field. This physical encounter saw the ball change hands many times before prop Beth Stafford was held up over the try line. From a scrum on the 5m line the home side put on the pressure, and after a quick tap penalty for a high tackle, fly half Becky Newton crossed the line for the home side. Newton also added the extras bringing the score to 7-14 to the visitors.

Now with the first score on the board the North girls were playing with more confidence and had the upper foot going in to half time.

From the restart the North girls played with the same intensity as they finished the first with some great jackals from back row duo Morfydd Ifans and Abbie Fleming. As the pressure increased from the home side a beautifully cut line from Centre Meg O’Sullivan and an offload released Winger Cassie Lyons and she crossed the line scoring her first try for North bringing the score to 12-14 to the visitors.

Caernarfon were aggressive from the restart and looked to utilise their big ball carriers to break the North line. But the home side held strong until a well worked move from the visiting side released the fullback on the outside beating the pace of the north back line, this time the away team couldn’t add the extras making it 12-19

With only 15minutes left of the half it was still all to play for, both sides worked hard at the ruck areas to get clean ball and some well timed offloads from the visiting side once again released the winger who crossed for Caernarfon’s 4th try 12 -24

From the restart North chased hard and a simple knock on under pressure allowed the home side to regain the ball. Everyone was eager to have ball in hand and both teams carried hard. Caernarfon managed to turn the ball over and the fullback managed to hit a gap on the wing outpacing the North defence bringing the final score to 12-29 to Caernarfon

North Ladies now travel to Cardiff Met in 2 weeks time.

Leave a Reply