U11s District Tournament held at Llandaf RFC 29/11/2013

posted in: Match Report, Minis, Uncategorized | 0

By Keith Sexton

photoThis years district tournament came as a shock on two fronts; firstly the timing, as a team we don’t normally produce our best this end of the season and secondly, the weather was great. Everyone arrived early including Tom for the pre-match warm up and with a number of historically strong teams present there was a hint of nerves whilst we waited for the draw. In our pool we had St Peters and Llanishen, with the top two teams progressing to the quarter finals.

Llandaf North v’s St Peters

The team were started well straight from the whistle, excellent forward play and consistent pressure on the opposition led to try by Chelsea. Sion (Big Ted) caught the ball from the kick off and with Joes quick hands the ball passed to Alex who ran in a fantastic try. The confidence gained in the first half continued into the second half with Llandaf North basically camping on the St Peters line but two spoiled try attempts was causing concern on the touch line. We need not have worried, Owen ‘Crusher’ Kent powered over the line – this lad always saves his best for when his mum’s in attendance.
Final Score 3-0 (no conversions).

Llandaf North v’s Llanishen RFC

A number of changes were made from the first game; we had noticed that in Llanishen’s previous game they had thrived on quick ball at the breakdown and had not looked to compete unless required at the ruck. Llandaf North battled through the game with some stand out tackling by Sam but the quick ball from the tackle area was the difference between to the two teams.
Final Score 0-2 (no conversions)
Llansihen’s speed of ball from the tackle area will give us something to work towards in training!

Quarter Final
Llandaf North V’s CRICC

An early mistake by Llandaf North led to a quick try by CRICC but the team responded fantastically as they pressured CRICC on their line. This pressure resulted in a try by Alex which brought us level at half time. CRICC introduced their secret weapon at half time, the player stormed through our defence with llandaf North players hanging off his legs. Again, the team responded well but it was small mistakes that led to a loss of field position and finally led to a third try by CRICC.
Final Score 1-3 (no conversions)

No one could doubt the effort of the squad, well done.

Man of the Match – Owen ‘Crusher’ Kent

Leave a Reply