Llandaff North Vs Cardiff Met 15.11.2015

Llandaff NorthVsCardiff MetBy Nia Jones

It was a very wet and windy day at Hailey Park but the rain would not stop this highly anticipated local derby between North Ladies and Cardiff Met Ladies.

The first half started very physically with both teams looking to stamp their dominance on the match. Both sides were evenly matched and competed well at the set piece. Cardiff Met attacked well with winger Eli Norket a prominent feature.

As the half was coming to a close all the momentum was with the North pack, and an attacking line out on the 5 meters presented an opportunity for North to take the lead before the half. But the Met girls were not going to give up easily and some superb defence denied the North girls the lead and the half arrived with the score at 0-0

The Second half started as the first half finished with the North girls applying all the pressure. With the forwards carrying the ball hard through with Amy Thomas and Louise Cox making considerable ground. Cardiff Met played a very clever kicking game through the boot of Jo Jones gaining territory and testing the North back 3 under the high ball.

A quick turn over and attack from the Met girls saw Norket make yet another dash down the wing and a fantastic defensive tackle from Prop Debbie Harper stopped the Met girls in their tracks. As the half charged forward possession passed back and forth between the two teams. After a quick tap penalty Met were penalised for not being back 10 and saw the first yellow card of the match.

The North girls made the most of the extra man and at 65 minutes with Full back Megan O’Sullivan making a superb dash and almost making it over the white wash but a spilled ball gave Centre Elin Huxtable the opportunity she needed to secure North the first points of the game. Huxtable completed the mission and successfully kicked the conversion.

With 15minutes left on the clock it was still all to play for and Cardiff Met hit back hard from the kick off. A well weighted kick from no 10 Jones gave the Met girls an attacking line out in the north 22. The North girls rallied hard and Ffion Evans managed to regain the ball for the home side and once again they were on the attack. After a number of penalties Cardiff Met saw their second yellow card of the game and North extended their lead through the boot of Huxtable.

With 6 minutes left on the clock both teams worked tirelessly but North were not going to let Cardiff Met break their line, some brilliant defence saw the game finish 10-0 to the home side.

Norths next game will be will be Home to Gwernyfed on the 29th of November.

Leave a Reply